Friday, March 18, 2011

Happy St. Paddy's

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
As you know my mom is the queen of traditions and decorating and being creative.
As a mother I want my kids to have the same memories and joys as I did as a child.
Sometimes real life happens.

The morning started off with some good ole' Lucky Charms...
(I even indulged in a bowl, and it really was magically delicious)
Thursdays are slurppee and park day, so off we go!
We did happen across a baby rattle snake at the park which was quite fascinating to everyone!
Then comes dinner! yay!
I always do a green dinner, basically dying everything green, and most off the time it ends up looking disgusting but thats really the fun of it right?
Well, half of the kids wouldnt eat and complained and were rude and burping and farting and making fun of me and well, just being UGH.
So being the wonderful poised and mature woman I am,
I locked myself in my room for an hour and a half and cried.
I didnt even give them the leprecaun treasure hunt i made.
I am just gonna eat every piece of candy myself.
And enjoy every bite.
I did eventually give them the grasshopper pie I made, begrudgingly.
And they spent the rest of the night apologizing and telling me "how wonderful" dinner was....
So the true question is why do I do these things?
Is it for me? To make myself feel like I am even half the mom mine was?
No....its because someday I know they will look back and remember poo-green food with smiles
and hopefully not their mom being a sensitive stressed out loon.
At least they are cute looking.....

4 comments:

Kim said...

reality bites... but winona ryder and ethan hawk end up together in the end ;) I didn't do one thing this year besides sending my kids to school looking gorgeous. I was even the snack leader for ben's school. I brought crackers. I don't feel bad. i bet your dinner was fab.

Cierra said...

that is such a bummer...i'm sorry. and i think any mom would have reacted the same way. at least i know i would have! at least the kiddos felt sorry and tried to make it a bit better. right? (kind of...)

p.s. at least you got to participate (although not happily) in your dinner. i helped make the scones for ours and i couldn't even be there for it! (i had to go to dang roadshow practice)

Unknown said...

Gosh, I can't believe the kids would act that way. I would have reacted the same way. You are a great mom and they will look back and love all you did for them.

Unknown said...

That was Kathy by the way on the last comment not Devin, I couldn't get mine to work.